Happy New Year!
It's that time of the year where many people stop and think about what kind of intentions they would like to set for the year ahead. While this is not for everyone (and that's okay!), it can be a great opportunity to reflect on what's important to us and which direction we would like our lives to take.
For many people, taking care of their health and wellbeing is a priority. There's certainly nothing wrong with that. However, this can sometimes be synonymous to making the resolution to diet and lose weight. This is not something I recommend.
Here a few reasons why:
- Your body deserves nourishment
- Restriction often leads to binging
- Diets make us miserable
- Not eating certain foods doesn't make you a better person
- Diets disconnect us from our intuition
And I could go on, and on, and on!
This year, I urge to rethink the dieting resolution. There are so many ways we can take care of ourselves without focusing on restriction and the number on the scale. Here are a few examples:
- Getting more sleep
- Including more mindful moments
- Taking more time away from social media
- Throwing out your scale
- Avoiding commenting on other people's bodies
- Eating a variety of foods (perhaps even trying new foods?)
- Donating clothes that don't fit anymore
- Being kinder with yourself around food
- Looking into therapy sessions
Make 2018 the year you ditch diets for good!
How are you going to take care of yourself this year?